Side bangs, slicked gel, edgy bobs, big waves galore — Carrie Underwood has rocked tons of different hairstyles through her years in the spotlight.
Lately, the country superstar has favored glam, styled curls with plenty of volume for her official appearances on the red carpet.
Although Underwood has kept a relatively low public profile since welcoming her second son in late January, her cute ‘do for the November CMA’s was arguably one of her best looks yet.
Michelle Cleveland, celebrity hairstylist, and owner of Hair Addicts Salon in New Jersey revealed how to easily recreate the chic look at home — whether or not an awards show awaits you.
1. “It starts with the prep work,” Cleveland said of Underwood’s effortlessly curled tresses, suggesting that fans first wash their hair with a volumizing shampoo and conditioner.
2. Next, spray the hair with a volumizing mist before separating the hair into four sections that she describes as “ear to ear, then center part straight back to the neckline.”
3. Then the blow-drying magic begins. The hair industry pro advises drying each section with a vented, medium-barrel round brush for fullness and bounce.
4. After the hair is totally dried, spray the hair with hairspray and heat up a 1.5-inch curling wand. (If you’ve got naturally wavy or curly hair, Cleveland recommends combing a flat iron through the hair to smooth away any unwanted texture for a frizz-free look, before hitting the locks with a curling iron.)
5. “Using the same partings from the blow dry, subdivide each section into small one-inch subsections and curl hair away from the face,” Cleveland says, offering the wise reminder to “not touch the curls” until they’ve cooled off.
6. “Once your last section has cooled down, brush through with a wide-toothed comb and finish off the look with a stronger holding hairspray” she adds.
Voila: A picture-perfect coif that the seven-time Grammy winner herself would approve of.